We advise leading firms from the UK, USA and Europe on conflicts issues and information barriers.
Acting when there are conflicts of interests is among the most serious breaches of the lawyer-client relationship. But the principle can be easier to state than to apply.
Proper planning can make it possible to take on an instruction which might otherwise have to be declined. As with all our advice, our focus, as far as possible, is on how things can be done, rather than reasons why they can’t be done.
We have advised leading law firms on conflicts. Examples include –
- Leading US firm in multi-billion cross-border credit crunch-related litigation;
- Advice to international firm on multi-jurisdictional conflicts problem;
- Advice to City and national firms on information barrier policies and procedures;
- Partner workshops for leading European, international, City and regional law firms;
- Defence of professional liability claims;
- Representing insured firms where insurers’ panel solicitors have conflicts of interest, including policy limit and wider coverage issues.
Frank Maher was the lead author of sections on conflicts and confidential information in the International Bar Association book, Risk Management in Law Firms: Strategies for Safeguarding the Future. http://www.globelawandbusiness.com/RML/
Our Resources page contains brief notes on leading conflicts cases and links to professional rules.
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Data Protection & Privacy
- GDPR for US law firms
- Legal advice: GC, MLRO, COLP/COFA
- Practising Requirements
- Professional Conduct and Ethics
- Professional Indemnity Law
- Professional Regulation
- Services for Surveyors, Estate Agents and Property Professionals
- Support for risk and compliance teams
- Services for accountants and tax advisers
- Risk Management/Loss Prevention
- Our People
For specialist legal advice on Conflicts please contact Frank.
0345 330 6791